Saturday, December 7, 2013

Stay Off The Grass!!!





Here's my take on Scyther.  I've wanted to try a different kind of composition than what I've recently been doing. I may move things around some more, but I'm having fun trying to blend insects and raptors, and it's been exciting trying to play with the lighting.





I also thought this might be a good time to explain my concepts on Pokemon in case anyone is interested:

   Pokemon remains the only video game I've really been into.  Sure, I love monster design, but it's that the monster design is part of a bigger story that matters.  Looking back, I realize Pokemon is the story of a rite of passage.  In the story, young teens leave their homes to gain respect by capturing and training the monsters of their world.
   So far, I've envisioned each meeting with a wild pokemon similarly to how classical heroes meet the forest god or demons in the grass.  However, instead of wearing tunics around classical greece, the pokemon trainer comes from a suburban world much like our own-albeit with far superior technology.
   In this surprise attack by two scythers, I wanted to reinsert a bit of my boyhood dreams about being a pokemon trainer.  In the back of my mind I was thinking of Honey I Shrunk the Kids and Where the Wild Things Are.  I really hope you like where its going.

No comments:

Post a Comment